4 Ways to Get Around out-of-state Tuition

  • college-tuition_large1) Check School’s Website and Specific Requirements

There can be loopholes or specific differences within different schools across different states. Individuals should check the school’s website and read the requirements carefully. The register page will often be where this information can be accessed or obtained. Further, often information can be discussed when reaching out to the office of the registrar and/or Financial Aid Office.

  • 2) Look into regional requirements

Often individuals can get a sense of state or regional requirements for obtaining residency. This will help avoid the issue of out of state tuition as individuals may be eligible to obtain residency depending on these requirements. For example, there are four regions in the United States that allow for and have a program called Tuition Exchange where students from out of state are not required to pay out of state tuition when attending schools in the selected regions. The only catch is that often this program requires students to go to college or complete their bachelor programs in the region in which they attended/graduated high school.

  • 3) Obtain multiple government documents

By obtaining drivers’ licenses, copies of bills, vehicle registration, voter’s registration card, or Selective Services registration, you can prove residency and obtain in state tuition for those students seeking it. This helps prove that students have residency within the state and will help make the transition easier, especially for those regions with stricter requirements. These documents are often only offered to those who have lived in the region for longer periods of time, a requirement for in state tuition.

  • 4) Seek Additional Help

Some regions, as mentioned above, have stricter regulations and additional requirements beyond simply proving they have lived in the state for the required amount of time, such as proof of intention to stay and/or proof of financial stability. To help address these requirements, there are counselors, legal counsel and organizations for these students.